City of El Paso - Department of Community + Human Development
Civic Empowerment Division
The purpose of the Neighborhood Leadership Academy (NLA) is to educate El Paso residents on how their city government operates and how they can work collaboratively to preserve and improve the quality of life in their neighborhoods. Participants receive first-hand information from City departments and partners about valuable services and programs through comprehensive presentations and on-site tours of various public facilities.
- Educate residents on City services and programs through presentations and tours from over 20 different City departments and partner agencies.
- Foster neighborhood leadership by promoting civic engagement
- 18-20 week program (January 11 through May 10)
- Classes meet once per week at various locations (Wednesdays from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
Participant selection criteria:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Youth aged 13-17 are eligible to participate, but must be accompanied by an adult enrolled in the program.
- This is a free program and can accommodate up to 60 enrolled participants
- Participants must submit a completed NLA application form
- More than five absences could result in not graduating/completing the program
- Participants will be invited to a graduation ceremony and receive a certificate of recognition upon completion of the program